Dear Lower School Families,
This is the last eblast of the school year. As I reflect upon all of the events and learning experiences for students this year, I feel proud to be part of the PVS family and privileged to work with your children.
I’d like to thank all of you who have volunteered to help our students and teachers this year:
- The Parents’ Association, led by Theresa Hall
- Our Lower School Vice President, Lindsay Davis
- The Room Parents: Stuart Watson, Jennifer James, Geraldine Strunsky, Kristin Kaminsky, Brittany Britz, and Mary Gray
- Our Library Committee, headed up by Cindy Habibipour: Kathy Laule, Brittany Britz, Keturah Chisholm, Alexandra Haralambous, Christa Jones, Sally Hawthorne
- The Used Uniform committee, headed by Andrea White: Ross White, and Kristi Ricker
- All of the faithful parents who helped in the classroom and drove for field trips- too numerous to mention
Thank you, thank you, thank you!
You can click below to make an appointment to come to campus June 2nd, 3rd, and 4th to return Chromebooks, class novels, library books and library bags and retrieve students’ personal items. At that time, I’ll have your student’s items bagged and ready to go. Please remember that masks and social distancing protocols are required while on campus. I will confirm your time and give you a list of items that need to be returned: appointment time If you cannot find a time, please email me to make alternate arrangements.
Virtual Parent Meeting
Please let Dr. Sherman know if you plan on joining this virtual event (similar to our Parent Coffee Meetings) to discuss relevant school topics and answer any questions. Please feel free to submit a question ahead of time for Dr. Sherman to address on Thursday, May 28 at 9 am.
There are three important events this Friday, May 29th:
- All Lower School Assembly at 10:00 am. Here is a link to the Google Hangout: click Parents and students are welcomed to join the Lower School Faculty and Dr. Sherman in this final assembly. (Parents, please remind your students to silence their microphones during the assembly and stay off group chat during the event.) I will also post the link on students’ Class Dojo and Google Classroom on Friday morning.
- Our Fifth-Grade Promotion Ceremony will be broadcast on Friday, May 29th at 4:00. All are welcomed to view this and honor our wonderful Fifth Graders. We will post the link on social media, on Google Classroom and in a group email.
- This year, there will be Department Awards given to a Kindergarten - Second Grader and a Third through Fifth Grader who have shown a passion for the subject and have demonstrated improvement, and diligence in effort and perseverance. These will be announced on May 29th, as well.
We will mail student fourth quarter narrative reports and summer assignments on Tuesday, June 9th.
I am putting together some information about summer camps and other activities and events and will send this via email next week. Here is one to consider: Camp Invention Connect This is a virtual Summer Camp, focused on science, technology, engineering and math for students. I have attached a link to the flyer with details about the program: Details
The administrative team is working on plans for the August 26th start of school. As you know, plans are contingent on enrollment. To that end, Dr. Sherman and the Board of Trustees have extended the rescission date for contracts to June 15th. They have also added two addendums to the enrollment contract. These were outlined in an email last week, and were put in place to provide an additional measure of assurance as you plan for the 2020-2021 school year. I will be contacting families this week to check-in and answer any questions you may have going into the new school year. Please know that you can email me, email@example.com or Abby Sturgeon, firstname.lastname@example.org at any time to have your questions answered.
Check out the latest issue of the PVS Alumni newsletter. Past newsletters are also archived on the PVS Alumni page. All our students are part of what makes Palm Valley special, including the ones who have left. Memories are more than simply the past -- they're important reminders of what matters in the future.
I wish you and your family a happy, healthy summer, and I cannot wait until I see you in August.
Head of Lower School